Subscribe to Barkada DMV on YouTube!

Saturday, December 15, 2007

How I Pay the Bills

As my day job, I teach Adult Basic Ed for Prince George's Community College. I've been doing this since September of 2006. Currently, I teach language arts Monday and Wednesday evenings and serve as a computer tech Monday mornings. It's been a very rewarding experience. When I started out, my class had just three students. Now, I have classes with over twenty students and I can confidently go in and conduct an 90 minute long class. A number of my students have gone on to earn their GEDs, which is very gratifying. I had been teaching exclusively 16-18 year old students. Now I'm teaching all ages, 16 and older. I really enjoy teaching students who have gone through life without a high school degree and have made the decision to come back to get their GED. It's great to see.

This is where I work as a computer tech:

IMG_8306

IMG_8305

And this is my evening class taking a test:

IMG_8307

But I'm not finished yet... Back in the summer of 2006, I started working for Telescript D.C. as a teleprompter operator. I did a number of freelance jobs at that time, but I had a long layoff until summer of this year. Since then, I've been doing a lot more teleprompting work. I've been able to go to a lot of cool places that I wouldn't have been able to go to otherwise, like the IRS, the FAA, the USDA, the Charlie Rose show, and Mars Candy headquarters. Here's a picture of the company. From left to right, the fulltime guys, Ethan and Mike, and Telescript D.C. owner, Bill:

IMG_8309

1 comment:

JD said...

That's awesome.
I should be a teleprompter.